How to Choose the Best Sausage Stuffer (2017’s Top Picks, Reviews and Buying Guide)
If you’re a sausage fan, it’s safe to say you should know how to make your own sausages at home. Some think the only way to buy sausages is from a store; others see it as a sort of novelty that only the older generations can make.
But did you know that the secret to making homemade sausages lies in one thing: a sausage stuffer?
It may sound strange but yes, it exists! In this article I’ll be guiding you on how to look for the best sausage stuffer. I’ll give reviews on the five top-rated products and give advice on a few points to consider.
Join us in our quest for the top 5 best sausage stuffer!
***Rating takes into account sausage stuffer recipe results, price, suitability for stuffing, and quality. Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you also can click links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
What is A Sausage Stuffer?
First of all, what is a sausage stuffer?
Basically it is a device that assists in the stuffing of meats into intestine casings. While stuffing of meats can be done manually, it is more efficient with a sausage stuffer, as you are able to maximize the packing of meats.
It’s also a great piece of equipment for when you need to make sausages in large and frequent batches, just like when making these homemade Polish sausages.
Sausage stuffers have come a long way from being big, rustic, and heavy pieces of equipment. You now have a choice between manual and electric, lightweight and commercial heavy, and horizontal and vertical orientations.
A peek at sausage stuffing in a factory: same concept but on a bigger scale
It is indeed very exciting to know that you can make your own homemade sausages at home.
But first, I should start by examining how to determine which stuffer is best for your needs.
What to Look for in a Best Sausage Stuffer?
When looking for the best sausage stuffer, the first consideration should be about how you want to use it. While some buy a stuffer as a one-off cooking novelty, others want to use it on a more frequent basis. Some want the feel of a manual stuffer, while others want the efficiency of having an electric one.
The choice is yours, but here are some things for you to consider:
Make sure that the stuffer meets global safety standards, verified and recognized by the IEC System of Conformity Assessment Schemes for Electrotechnical Equipment and Components (IECEE). This is the only recognized quality control organization in the world that checks products’ conformity to safety standards.
Make a decision as to whether you want a manual or electric stuffer. While a manual stuffer feels more “authentic,” an electric stuffer can aid you when you want to make sausages often, and/or if you are looking into making big batches.
A home-use electric sausage stuffer in action
Kitchen equipment can be sensitive to accidents and damage, so make sure that you are covered for at least one year. Also, warranty shouldn’t just cover parts, but also services. Read the fine print.
Look for a sausage stuffer with at least one-year warranty
There are two kinds of sausage stuffers available today, horizontal and vertical. The reason for this is some people prefer a horizontal orientation, while others a vertical one. Usually, shorter people tend to buy a horizontal stuffer, because a vertical one can be too difficult to use. The key to choosing is with your comfort of use, so try pulling and pushing the stuffer when you visit a kitchen store.
Now that I’ve outlined the four important things you have to consider when shopping for a sausage stuffer, let’s go to the exciting part: our review on five top-rated sausage stuffers available in the market. I’ll be giving an overview of the product highlights, pros, cons, and what I personally love about them.
So, let’s get started!
Top 5 Best Sausage Stuffer In The Market
[amazon box=”B000SQDTRC,B00OBXZ9EY,B011U2EPJS,B01B5ZD5W8,B0046AOFKG” template=”table”]
Reviews on 5 Top-Rated Sausage Stuffers
#1. LEM Stainless Steel Vertical Sausage Stuffer (Editor's Choice)
At 9.8 pounds, LEM’s vertical sausage stuffer is built with solid stainless steel and two-pronged base gears. As a manual machine it fits securely in place with its solid and sturdy base. It is of a standard kitchen countertop size with 17 x 9 x 10 inches in dimensions. What I love about this is the ease of filling and cleaning, owing to its plug-and-play cylinder structure.
- This stuffer is tanky and sturdy, all made with solid stainless steel. Given its affordability compared to the average price on the market, it offers a lot with its quality in structure.
- It has a pressure relief valve, a great feature when regulating the pressure in stuffing sausages.
- It is really easy to clean due to its stainless steel material, and cylinder-shaped body.
- The product allows for smooth pushing-and-pulling of the gears, which makes it easier for beginners to use the product.
- It comes with stuffing tubes of different sizes: ½”, ¾”, and 1”.
- This stuffer is not built for massive batches; you have to separate stuffing into smaller batches.
- The piston is made of plastic, which is susceptible to stains, temperature changes, and cracking.
At 14.8 pounds, VIVO’s sausage stuffer definitely is built for all levels of users—from the beginner to the advanced. It is very stable, with an easy-to-use plunger, and a quick-clean body. What I love about this product is the ease of using the plunger no matter how thick the meat is. This feature makes the job a lot easier, especially for beginners.
- It has a very steady base made of pure metal.
- It has a stainless steel cylinder that’s easy to plug and clean.
- Stuffing tube comes in the following sizes: 0.4”, 0.79”, 1.18”, and 1.57”. This is perfect for anyone wanting to have a choice with sausage sizes.
- This stuffer’s plunger is made of aluminum which makes it light but powerful.
- It has an additional feature of tilting back, making it easier to fill the cylinder with meat.
- At 14.8 pounds, it is very heavy, making it almost impossible to move and transfer.
- Its product dimensions of 20.4 x 12.7 x 10 inches are not standard for the kitchen countertop, so you have to look for another storage space for this product.
- The VIVO sticker can peel off easily, which can be annoying given that the washing instructions are written on the sticker.
- There are no base holes, so there is no way to keep the product permanently in place. This is an important feature, because many people want to firmly secure their sausage stuffers to avoid risks of slipping, unbolting and unclamping.
Built for high-platforms, Hakka Brothers’ horizontal sausage stuffer is built to give an ease of usage on different types of kitchen countertops. At 26.5 pounds, it is on the heavy side but with good reason: it is an electric stuffer with two (2) high-and-low speeds to choose from. What I love about this product is its very solid feel and absent of bumps even when I choose a high speed for stuffing.
- It can accommodate frequent use and large batches of meat.
- It is very solid and there’s an option for you to put it permanently in place with holes for securing on its base.
- You have the option to choose high or low speeds, and the transition is very smooth.
- Its gasket is made of rubber and this is a big plus quality-wise, given that other products more commonly use plastic gaskets.
- It is difficult to clean, given that you have to take apart the gear assembly when cleaning.
- This is definitely not a sausage stuffer for beginners.
- At 26.5 pounds, it is very heavy and can be detrimental to weak kitchen countertops. Make sure you check on the capacity of where you are storing this sausage stuffer.
- You have to regularly check the air valve threads which can wear out with frequent use. Make sure also that you check on the service warranty from where you buy it, so if this issue arises you know you are covered.
Super Deal’s sausage stuffer says a lot about its product name: it’s a meat mincer, meat grinder, and pork filler all in one. It is rare to find a multi-functional product like this, and this is what I love about it. It can do these various jobs quite well, and can withstand intense changes in pressure.
It’s also one-of-a-kind built for right-handed and left-handed users, owing to the versatility and customer base reach it wants to achieve. It is very sturdy, made with a solid stainless steel body.
- It is customer-oriented having left-handed and right-handed users in mind.
- It is very easy to clean with its plug-and-play steel cylinder.
- Nozzles to enhance stability further support its base.
- It has an anti-leak feature, a perfect antidote for when you overfill the cylinder’s capacity.
- It comes in stuffing tube sizes of 2/3”, ¾”, 1 ¼”, and 1 ½”. Perfect for those seeking sausage size varieties.
- Remember the old adage, “Jack of all trades, master of none”? This product is a testament to this. While it can do many things, it can only do tasks on average levels. You cannot mince, stuff, and grind meat too much or too frequently.
- It is difficult to find parts replacements for this product, so when things go wrong beyond warranty, it can be a hassle for you.
This sausage stuffer’s strength lies in its durability: it is made of full stainless steel, and an even thicker base for stability. It is a manual stuffer with an easy-to-use plunger, geared for those new to sausage stuffing.
What I love about the product is its simplicity of mechanics: the structure is pretty straightforward, and it isn’t difficult to check on problems should these arise.
- It has a sleek structure with straightforward features: plug-and-play for both the cylinder and plunger.
- It is built for standard kitchen countertops with 12 1/6” x 9 5/8” x 16” dimensions.
- It has predrilled holes in its base, giving an option for users to secure it permanently in place.
- It can handle a lot of meat in one batch, which is surprising for an average-sized stuffer.
- It only comes in three stuffing tubes: 1/2 “, 7/8” and 1”. This is very limiting, considering that people have different preferences.
- It is made of a plastic piston that can break off easily when exposed to changes in temperature.
- Warranty does not cover plastic piston replacements, so this is far from being cost-effective given that the piston is vulnerable to frequent breakages.
[amazon box=”B000SQDTRC,B00OBXZ9EY,B011U2EPJS,B01B5ZD5W8,B0046AOFKG” grid=”5″]
Which is the Best Sausage Stuffer for Us?
Now that I’ve given you our parameters and an overview of the five top-rated sausage stuffers, the final choice is always a personal preference. But having tried these products, I love and highly recommend LEM Stainless Steel Vertical Sausage Stuffer above all for those starting out with the craft of sausage stuffing.
My second pick is VIVO Sausage Stuffer. It passed the standards of IECEE, it's easy to use, affordable and built to withstand intense pressures and temperatures.
I hope you enjoyed the review on the best sausage stuffer as much as I enjoyed creating it. Please feel free to share the article if you’ve enjoyed it; and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to put your comments below.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: