How to Make Pizza Dough without Yeast in Less than 20 Minutes
Do you love making and eating homemade pizza? Do you hate the time you need to allow the dough to rise or are you allergic to yeast? I really just don’t have time to wait when it comes to pizza. Heck, I don’t even always have the time to order out pizza in restaurants. However, after a few baking experiments, I have come up with a way on how to make pizza dough without yeast.
No yeast. Cut the waiting time to raise the dough. Just a couple of ingredients and you can enjoy that wonderful homemade pizza. And you will learn all about it in this article.
Why is Yeast Added to Pizza
Before I share with you the steps to making a pizza without incorporating yeast on the dough, I will explain first why yeast is essential to pizza making.
Like any other bread, most pizzas are based on yeast-raised dough. Beer, wine, and cider among others also make use of yeast in its processes. The reason why yeast is added to these products is that it produces substances that add flavor as it gives off gas to make the dough rise. The yeast byproduct helps make beer taste like beer and bread taste like bread.
Getting dough with yeast base will take a long time to rise up. Most people suggest that you should wait for around 30-45 minutes for it to rise. Based on experience, I do not agree with this principle. In fact, it is almost impossible to get good yeast-based dough to rise within an hour. Usually, when I am not in a hurry to bake pizza, I knead it the night before and allow it to rise during the night. Sometimes I also leave it when I go to work. The dough just rises as I am at work and it becomes ready as soon as I come home.
When I am in a hurry, I usually use my secret yeast-less pizza dough recipe so that the pizza is ready in a flash. Your guests and family will surely love that when they can enjoy pizza without having to wait for a long time.
One thing you should keep in mind, though, pizza dough without yeast will taste a bit different. The texture is way different than the normal pizza as well. It does not necessarily mean it’s not appetizing, but you will surely realize the difference when you make yourself a pizza dough without yeast.
Making a pizza without yeast is easy. It is just like making the regular pizza just without yeast. The ingredients below are needed to make homemade yeast-less pizza.
- 2 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- ¼ cup of butter that is at room temperature
The Steps on How to Make Pizza Dough Without Yeast
It is now time to make your pizza. You can usually prepare this pizza recipe in 5-10 minutes and cook it for 10-15 minutes.
1. Prepare all your ingredients. Prep your pizza pan by lining it with a baking sheet or parchment paper. This is also the best time to preheat your oven so that as soon as finish the dough preparations you can simply shove it in the oven and get the cooking process going. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Secure a large mixing bowl.
3. Pour all your ingredients into the bowl and mix them up. Make sure that you combine all the ingredients well. You can use your mixer with a hook attachment to mix the ingredients into one ball. Don’t fret if you don’t have a mixer; you can use your hands. It is just going to take some time to mix it because at first it is sticky and then it becomes stiff. Add some warm water or oil to help you mix the ingredients.
4. Remove the dough out of the bowl and lay it on a flat surface. A floured cutting board will be just fine. Try to knead the dough for a few minutes. If though is sticky just try to sprinkle some flour so it wouldn’t stick. If you are not so skilled with kneading, you can check this video on how to do a perfect knead.
5. Roll your dough to your prepped pizza pan and begin forming it following your pan’s shape. You can use a rolling pin to flatten out the dough to your desired thickness. I usually prefer ¼ inch thickness because I think it bakes faster when it is this thin, but it still has some volume.
6. Once the dough is set on the pizza pan, spread your ingredients and sauce on top of it. You can use homemade pizza sauce or just buy some canned sauce from the supermarket. Top it with some of your favorite toppings, and you are ready to go.
7. Put the pizza inside the oven and allow it to cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Once it is fully baked remove it from the oven and allow it to cool before you can cut a pizza. Slice it in different partitions and serve to your family or guests.
The advantages of not using yeast on your pizza
The main advantage of not using yeast is really you speed up the pizza making process. You no longer need to wait some valuable time just for the dough to rise.
It is also perfect for people who have allergies to yeast. Being allergic to yeast can cause devastating effects other than the already very risky complications of an allergic reaction. Some researchers have discovered a link between yeast allergy to Celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder that leads to the damage of intestine upon ingestion of gluten. And one of the best ways to avoid these complications is to cook or bake something that does not contain yeast, which is the goal of this yeast-free pizza recipe.
Making your own pizza at home is certainly interesting. Much more if you do not add yeast to it. How to make pizza without yeast is no longer a question that has no answer. Even with simple ingredients, you can make your yeast-free pizza that is safe for you and your family. And you can also have it almost in an instant.